Sunday, January 5, 2014

A finish and a goal

Hello, lovelies!

I've been sewing, but I haven't been talking about it much, alas! The semester went well, and I'm enjoying the lull in between by doing some more sewing. (I'm in Wisconsin, where we're hunkering down for some serious cold. What better way to deal than by quilting?)

First, a major finish to share! It's been done for a while now (since mid-October, 2013), but it's the biggest quilt I've yet made, a sizeable queen-size that we've been enjoying on our bed. Based on the Line Art pattern, I adapted it to a giant queen size and used Origins jelly rolls to make:

Forest in the Air




I don't use all the panels on my sewing table all that often, but for this beast, I did!



I'm also hoping to join in with the Lovely Year of Finishes for 2014 -- I think it'll be a great way to keep myself with some sewing momentum on a more regular basis!

A Lovely Year of Finishes

So, for the month of January, I am hoping to finish this baby quilt, for one of my friends who recently had a new bundle of joy:




It's pin-basted and ready to quilt; I hope this will be a fun and speedy finish. I hope y'all are staying warm!

6 comments:

  1. Love the Origins quilt! It was such a lovely line of fabrics, very earthy, but I couldn't quite figure out what to do with it, so I never bought much of it. Love to see something made with it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It goes great in our bedroom, and I pieced the strips as a 'leader-ender' project, where I used them to chain-piece between parts of blocks for a couple other quilts I made, so they went together amazingly fast. It was kind of like -- suprise! Your quilt is half done!

      Delete
  2. You're Forest in the Air quilt is beautiful! I've been thinking of making a quilt with that type of pattern for a nephew of mine. Your goal project is quite awesome too, don't you just LOVE a good leader/ender project?? I have only made 1 leader/ender so far and it was so great, I kinda felt like I was cheating. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, so much! That pattern was a lot of fun to make -- very freeform! And yes, leader/ender projects are fantastic! I love how fast things seem to come together; you're right, it does feel like cheating. :D

      Delete
  3. Love both your quilts. The earthy one is simple yet stunning, the colourful one is well so colourful. Great work on both of them. And I like that you are quilting on your domestic. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I didn't quilt the queen-size one on my little domestic, but the colorful baby one was fun to quilt. Cheers!

      Delete